Eddie Sheffield, Jr.
Summary: Seeking Software Engineering position performing a variety of software application engineering tasks, including architectural design and implementation of web, desktop, or embedded applications. A strong self-starter and independent worker, also works well in a team as either member or lead. Enthusiastic and enjoys taking on new and varied challenges. Very flexible and able to apply solid development experience utilizing most any application environment as required. Ideal position would utilize strong creative skills in system architecture and object-oriented programming and design and would offer the opportunity to use a variety of technologies. Most recent experiences are in .NET technologies including ASP.NET, C#, SQL Server, and non-.NET technologies such as C and PHP. Additionally I have extensive Java technology background including Swing, JavaBeans, XML, J2EE, EJB, JSP, and Servlets; and a good working knowledge of many other technologies such as Linux, MySQL, various assembly languages, electronics, and hardware. I am a proponent of agile development techniques such as interative development, continuous integration, and unit test and have various experience with supporting tools such as Ant, Nant, JUnit, NUnit, NUnitASP, Subversion, and CruiseControl.NET.
Master of Science – Computer Science, 1994
East Tennessee State University, Johnson City TN
Thesis topic: Porting UNIX Applications to OS/2: The iPSC Hypercube Simulator
Bachelor of Science – Computer Engineering, 1989
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg VA
Software Engineer – Sungard EXP, Formworks division, Blacksburg, VA
- Major contributor to development of web-based management and administration tools for the FormWorks 5 product using ASP.NET, C#, and SQL Server.
- Responsible for updates and maintenance to the FormWorks Store worker component using C and SQL Server.
- Lead developer working on productizing a web-based forms keying client created by R & D using PHP, web services, SQL Server, ASP.NET.
- Developed a PHP extension to perform native image processing while working with PHP’s native imaging support. Developed in C.
Senior Software Engineer – G3 Systems Inc., Blacksburg, VA
- Developed .NET web application for HUD for the gathering of extensive expert data. Technologies used included ASP.NET, C#, and SQL Server 2000.
- Lead developer on PHP module to add survey presentation and administration to a 3rd party’s commercial product. System utilized PHP, MySQL, and Linux.
- Lead developer on VB.NET desktop application for VA View to allow students to search for information on various career and training paths.
- Primary responsibility for conversion of HTML mockups into JSPs for use in BEA Weblogic Portal and integration of JSP frontend with EJB backend, creating portal input processors and pipeline processors as required.
- Lead for process action team overseeing migration from Portal 4.1 to BEA Weblogic Platform 8.1.
Software Development Engineer – Telos Corp., Ashburn VA
- Responsible for various in-house development work using technologies such as ASP, Visual Basic 6, Visual Basic.NET, C#, and Peregrine ServiceCenter supporting numerous service contracts, primarily US government and military.
- Contract Consultant – ObjectVenture (formerly Roaming Media), Herndon VA
- Designed and developed UI for viewing pattern diagrams within the Roaming Studio product using Java. This is the same product worked on while with InLine Software as Roaming Media purchased the assets of InLine.
Senior Research Engineer – Hyperdigm Research, Chantilly VA
- Perform research using latest technology to create and develop commercializable products.
- Provide development support to external consulting projects.
- Provided development support to create a protocol test tool for the Department of Defense’s (US Message Text Format) USMTF over Combat Net Radio protocols.
- Developed user interface for the test tool in Java.
- Lead developer on high fidelity network simulator in collaboration with NetC/RC. Developed using Java, C, and extensions to Linux kernel.
- Created custom modular Java application framework and widgets.
- Performed initial research using IXP1200 network processor and OS-9 in a custom router design
Senior Software Engineer – Inline Software Corporation, Leesburg VA
- Performed general Java development with team in developing a tool for creation and deployment of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications.
- Developed interface for modules providing EJB server specific support and modules to support Oracle8i, Sun J2EE Reference Implementation, and BEA Weblogic.
- Implementation of the product’s installation system, which included interfacing with a number of different Java IDEs and Rational Rose, and a Java interface to Windows registry using Java Native Interface.
- Implementation of a J2EE demo application shown at JavaONE 2000. Demo included Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), Servlets, and Java Server Pages (JSP).
- Initial design and development of the product’s JSP support.
- Received special recognition for ability to step into various neglected areas of the project and bring them up to par.
Senior Software Engineer – Telos, Inc. / Enterworks, Inc., Ashburn VA
Independent Computer Consultant, Glade Spring VA
- PC service and support
- Web page consulting and design
Instructor, Computer Engineering Technology – Northeast State Technical Community College, Blountville TN
- Perform general classroom and lab instructional duties and curriculum development.
- Developed and/or taught courses programming (Pascal, C, C++, BASIC, and assembly language), PC hardware troubleshooting and repair, and electronic circuit analysis (digital and analog).
- Participated in initial accreditation of school’s Computer Engineering Technology program. One member of the accreditation team noted that was the most well prepared presentation materials he had encountered.
CERTIFICATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS, AND OTHER SKILLS
Sun Certified Java 1.1 Programmer
Sun Certified Java Developer for Java 2
Sun Certified Web Component Developer
Certified Netware Engineer (April 1995) – Netware 3.1x, 4.x Update
Member: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Licensed amateur radio operator (Technician class – Callsign KC4CZN)
Former member of American Mensa
Experienced in public speaking and mentoring
Excellent technical writing and communication skills